
This is going to be a short post. Blogger is acting weird tonight. It looks like some update is happening. So, I will simply post comments to the photos I have loaded and continue tomorrow. Above, you can see the small mountain village of Bennabio where we stayed for a week. Robert mentioned to someone that he wanted to stay in Italy for a while. This person knew someone who had a sister who had bought and renovated a place in Bennabio and was willing to rent it to us for £280 for a week. This, we regarded as quite a good deal given that the place had 4 bedrooms (two with ensuite bathrooms) , a living room, kitchen and extra bathroom. Robert paid for it. I worked off my half by doing some painting for Robert (I charge him £10 per hour for work like painting (which he hates doing and is hopeless at, but I don't mind doing)).

This is our kitchen with dining table. I took along some essays to mark. The glass of wine you can see comes from a 1.5L bottle of 'table wine' which I bought at the corner shop for less than one Euro (85 euro cents). It was a quite decent wine: very drinkable and amazing value for the price.

Above is our living room. This had a large flat screen TV and hard wood floors.

Above is another view of the living room looking towards the steps towards the three upstairs bedrooms. This place was clearly a old propery which had been rewired and renovated (but keeping the traditional features of the house, like the roofing beans and wooden doors).

The reason why were were here is that Robert had signed himself up for a bicycle race called the Dieci Colli in Bolongna about a week after our arrival. He found out about this from an Italian economist he knows who lives in Bolongna and who is a keen cyclist. So the plan was that Robert would cycle around the area to build up his general fitness prior to the race. This is Robert suiting up for a training ride. So, Robert brought a bike to Italy and I brought a laptop and a stack of marking. You will notice that Robert is wearing lycra. Cycling is big in Italy and everyone wears lycra. You will see this in my post about the actual bike race. Robert's shirt is a copy of the Tour de France winner of the 'King of the Hill' race (i.e. the cyclist who is the most successful at going uphill quickly). What can I say about the flip flops and socks? Robert and I have disagreements about footwear.

This is Robert starting off on a training run. He is still 49 at this point. More about turning 50 tomorrow.
3 comments:
Can't stand flip flops. I think the last part of the name tells it all.
And did you hear the thump that I made as I fell to the floor in a swoon. THE SPACE! I didn't really notice it until I saw the bicycle leaned up against the wall looking rather small. Sigh.
I had a back shed moment the other day and did a bit of organizing and throwing away of garbage. It is amazing what ended up out there in the run of the winter.
Yeh! The place was massive, especially for people used to living in the UK where apartments and even appliances are small. I think that we agreed that this place was bigger than our two apartments (flats for UK people) put together. We were in this place seriously reconsidering why we were still living in the UK.
Robert's footwear made me laugh out loud. I am still laughing. I am bad. It must be the long day I put in today. I got up at 4:30 when Dad got up and cleaned the house. By luck I heard Vaughan being interviewed on CBC Radio around 6: 30. He never told anyone that he was interviewed. He had an excellent interview. He made me proud. CBC Radio announcer tried to speak to him when he was in Keswick Ridge but the Cell phone did not work there. They tried again later when Vaughan was in Burton checking up on the heifers.
Today we had a whole crew of Audrey and Vaughan friends helping us clean the barn.
Mamoo
Post a Comment