Sunday, 16 March 2008

Women from Naples and Sardinia

Just a short post today as I am using my blog to do some work avoidance (it is essay marking time! I have only done 4 but still need a break...only 19 left in this current stack). Mamoo was asking about Italian women, none of my photos were that brilliant, but I found a couple off the net that give you an idea. First, above I have an archway for Mamoo. This is a covered arcade called Galleria Umberto in Naples. Essentially, it is a old and posh shopping mall.

Below is another photo, showing you what the average Italian woman looks like. They do take pride in their appearance and are generally well dressed when they go out. Italians (at least the urban ones) spend quite a lot on their clothing. It is pretty easy to spot the tourists in an Italian city. They are the poorly dressed ones without designer sunglasses and mobile phones.
What this photo is missing are the designer sunglasses and mobile phone that seems to be permanently attached to any Italian woman's ear.

Above, are some women that came up when I did a search on 'Sardinian women from hill towns'. They don't have the black headscarf, but this give you the general picture.
Above is another Sardinian beach photo. You can see there is a bit of a difference between what little old ladies in mountain villages wear and what younger girls wear when they hit the beach. Jackie might be inspired by the blues here.

Finally, as a couple of you commented on the lovely frescos in Pompeii, here is a rather saucy little one with a Pompeian lady and her lover! In fact, quite a lot of erotic frescos were discovered in Pompei and Herculaneum. I guess they didn't have Playboy. What they did have, however, is a brothel (complete with frescos so clients (male and female) could see what services were on offer.
I think that my next post will be about South America, just to add a bit of variety!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Curious Llama for the photo of the posh mall. It is just beautiful as well as the Italian women. You are right, I am rather partial to arches. I love everything about the architecture and the beautiful floor.

I suppose that only the rich people can afford to shop at such a posh mall. The rest just window shop. I don't see too many with packages in their hands. Or maybe they go to restaurants to eat.

The water looks so inviting and is so clear too.

Good luck with your marking.

Mamoo

I am Curious Llama. said...

I will now make a point of taking photos of arches along with cows for Mamoo. The posh mall isn't too posh. Robert and I were there on a Sunday morning near lunch time. This is a popular time for people to just have a stroll before tucking into their lunch time pizza. While not a lot of people were shopping, quite a lot were queued up at the coffee and pastry shop.

Anonymous said...

What's that man doing in the last image? Peculiar. Maybe he's a massage therapist of some kind. ;-)

Jackie said...

The mall is a far cry from what we see around here! And I like the idea of the "menu" from the local brothel!

The blue yarn is offically named Bay of Naples. The photo that you have in the Pompeii post is exactly the colours of the yarn!

I am Curious Llama. said...

These 'malls' are called arcades and you see them in various European city. There is a similar looking one in Milan. There also a famous one in London called Burlington Arcade. You can see that they are quite old. The idea is that people can stroll from shop to shop but be sheltered from the elements. Because these are in the city centre and are open on either side, quite a lot of people just stroll through them to get to the other side.

I wouldn't be surprised if these things were the original inspiration for shopping malls. Somehow, however, something got lost in translation as they were moved outside of city centres and filled with Walmart greeters.

Anonymous said...

Jackie, my love, I'm overjoyed that you liked the idea of the brothel menu. Can we talk about what's on the menu after you get back? :-)