Saturday, 1 March 2008

Springtime in Scotland


It is March 1 and springtime has arrived here in Scotland. Today is sunny, if a bit windy. Here are some photos I have taken of the flowers in the court yard behind my flat. As you can see from the photo above, the daffodils are out. Below you can see that my neighbor's bulbs are coming along well.

Just a short post today. However, I thought that my friends and family who are struggling with snowstorms and a long winter might enjoy this reminder of what is around the corner for them. In any case, you can take solace in the fact that even though we might get spring before you, Canadian summers are much nicer than Scottish ones.

6 comments:

Jackie said...

That's right, rub it in! We are having yet ANOTHER snow storm. We had one last Wednesday too. I am sooooo finished with winter!

Anonymous said...

First Rioja, now this. Pouring salt in the wound. I'll have to make a point of thinking of Scottish weather when July rolls around.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Curious Llama for the shot of daffodils. I needed that. It will be some time before I can send you photos of my Spring flowers. Winter came so early this year that we didn't even had a Fall and I didn't had time to plant any spring bulbs. The snow came and kept coming. The few bulbs that will come up will have a long wait until all the snow melt, not all at once I hope or else we will have a big flood for sure.

19 days before Spring. I am so ready. Mamoo

I am Curious Llama. said...

Hello Mamoo. You are such a busy person that I think that we should help you set up your own blog so we can all keep on top of your activities. I am glad that you liked the daffodils. There are not a flower that I have seen much in Canada, but here in Scotland they are very much a herald of spring. Irises come next, followed by magnolia and cherry trees. I have two favorite flowers that I think of as very Canadian. On is lupins, which you see along side of the highways. The other is lilac, because at my paternal grandmother's big house, there were some spectacular lilac bushes at the back that grew in such a way that there was a little den inside. Ack and I and our friends used to crawl into this den and just enjoy being there.

Christine said...

My Iris beds, and lily beds both have at least 4 feet of snow covering them. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Hello Curious Llama. Your dad thought that I should have a blog too. We will see. It looks like it is a lot of fun. I know that I am having fun reading yours and Jackie's blog.

Mamoo